No Fees Unless You Recover Compensation
Law Offices of Bo Katzakian
San Jose: 408-624-8420
Salinas: 831-222-0988
Santa Cruz: 831-222-0855
San Luis Obispo: 805-475-3890

What can be done about denied claims after a workplace injury?

When a San Jose worker suffers workplace injuries or another issue related to the job that leaves them unable to work, there is an automatic belief that they will be free to use workers' compensation benefits as they are treated. However, there are times when a claim is denied. If there is a denial, it is due to the workers' compensation claims administrator believing that the injury is not covered. A worker can challenge the decision. It is important to note that there are deadlines for the challenge.

While the claim is underway, the administrator might also disagree with the reports from the treating physician regarding the injury itself or the treatment that is being provided. If that is the case, there can be an evaluation by a qualified medical evaluator (QME). A separate doctor called an agreed medical evaluator (AME) can resolve any dispute. If there is a disagreement regarding the medical treatment the treating physician recommends, it must be resolved by an independent medical review (IMR).

To object to the claim denial, a case must be filed with the Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC). The case is decided without a judge or jury at a DWC office. To file the case, there must be an Application for Adjudication of Claim. It must be filed either in the county where the injury occurred or where the claimant lives. It is possible to have a hearing before a judge by filing a Declaration of Readiness to Proceed. This will be a mandatory settlement conference (MSC).

The claimant and the claims administrator or their legal representation will appear in front of a judge. An attempt will be made to settle the matter. If this cannot be done, the dispute must be argued with documents and witnesses. There will then be a trial date set. Another judge will oversee the actual trial. The decision usually comes one to three months after the trial. If it is still denied, it is possible to request a reconsideration via petition.

For injured workers who are expecting to receive workers' compensation, one of the most stressful issues they can face is if they are told that their injuries do not meet the criteria for benefits. This does not necessarily mean the case is over. Having legal assistance from an attorney who is experienced with workers' compensation and denied claims is essential when trying to get benefits.

Source:, "If my claim was denied," accessed on July 25, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Your Injury Won't Wait. Neither Should You. Tell Us About Your Case Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

3150 Almaden Expressway
Suite 147
San Jose, CA 95118

Phone: 408-624-8420
Phone: 831-222-2980
Fax: 408-816-7856
Map & Directions

3196 S Higuera Street
Suite D
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Phone: 408-624-8420
Map & Directions

137 Central Avenue
Suite 8-A
Salinas, CA 93901

Phone: 408-624-8420
Map & Directions

911 Center Street
Suite A
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Phone: 408-624-8420
Phone: 831-222-3980
Map & Directions

Review Us